About 2 months ago I found out that snacking was one of the important reasons I was not losing weight at a normal rate, even though I was on diet. I was very frustrated because I though my diet was ok, so there must be something wrong with my metabolism. It turned out I was snacking for about 500 calories/day. This is almost 1/2 of my daily calorie intake while being on a diet. Since I started the cut down calorie plan I’m very careful with what I eat and now I can see the difference.
Here is what you can do to avoid snacking:
- be prepared: Don’t let a snack attack take you by surprise
- keep the junk foods out of the house
- stack up your fridge with low-calorie fruits and vegetables for healthy snacks
- make an effort to cook more slow-cooked meals. This will keep you busy a longer period of time – thinking about making food and not just eating it
- brush your teeth. Most food doesn’t taste very good after brushing your teeth, so you won’t be as tempted to snack simply out of boredom or habit
- keep your hands busy. Can’t eat if you are using your hands doing something else.
- stay out of the kitchen
- when you feel the urge to snack, take a walk around your house, lift hand weights, anything to move your body. Exercise suppresses your appetite.
- don’t watch commercials. I’m sure there must be a food commercial
- chew sugar-free gum or mint
- drink water
- plan your menus everyday to include healthy snacks
- take a minute to look at yourself in the mirror. Ask yourself, “Do I really need to eat?”
- make a list of what you’ve already eaten today and what you plan to eat later
- repeat this out laud: Snack = Something Naughty And Calorie Kamikaze
- try out your favorite pants (which are too tight..of course)
- try thinking of your snacks as mini-meals. Rather than eating the standard 3 meals a day, try eating 5 or 6 smaller meals
- snack later. Say to yourself that you will eat that snack after breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you eat lots of good food before the snack, there is not much room left for the junk food.
- call a friend. Talk as much as you can about anything and everything. You will forget what you wanted to do before the call or maybe you will think more clearly.
- and don’t forget about Diet Piggy.
RSS Trackback URL 23. March 2007 (12:25)
Filed under: Motivation, Tips by Nessie