Aerobics is a form of physical exercise, based on stretching and strength training routines, that claims to improve and facilitate the transport of oxygen in our body.
The word itself means “with oxygen”. Basically, any type of exercise that makes us breathe faster and take in more oxygen than usually is considered to be aerobic exercise.
This exercise method was developed by an exercise physiologist, Kenneth Cooper, and a physical therapist, Pauline Potts, both from the United States Air Force.
Aerobics was initially created to improve the cardiovascular system. Over time, many other benefits of this exercise were discovered. As a result, more and more people started to introduce it in their everyday exercise program.
The most important benefits or aerobics are:
- Aerobics strengthens your heart. A stronger heart can pump blood more efficiently, leading to a better blood stream. Therefore, it prevents heart diseases and most importantly, heart attacks. If you already had one, aerobics can help prevent an ulterior one;
- Aerobics lowers the arterial pressure, preventing the hypertension, which is the main risk factor for several health problems like stroke, myocardial infarct, heart failure and arterial aneurysm;
- Aerobics makes our brain produce more endorphins, which are responsible for our good mood and also reduces stress, anxiety and depression, making this type of exercise an excellent choice;
- Researches have shown that aerobics can also lower the blood sugar levels, preventing type 2 diabetes. People who already suffer from this disease have shown improvements after introducing aerobics in their daily exercise program;
- Together with a healthy diet, aerobics can help us burn fat easier. It is also considered to be an exercise that helps decrease the bad cholesterol and increase the positive one.
- Aerobics can improve the quality of our sleep. Therefore we wake up feeling refreshed and with lots of energy;
- As it is based on stretching and strength training routines, one of the most important things that aerobics can do for us is to strengthen, tone and lift our muscles, making our body more flexible.
So, whether you want to lose weight or just stay fit, including aerobics in your lifestyle can make you lead a healthier and happier life.
Specialists think that it is necessary at least 30 minutes of aerobics per day in order to get the maximum benefits from it. I can say that it is my favorite type of work out because it is fun and I feel great after just 30 or 45 minute.
RSS Trackback URL 23. November 2010 (15:49)
Filed under: Fitness, Weight loss by Alice in Dietland