I would like to start with a confession: for a long time I avoided to eat spinach.
Despite my love for Popeye the Sailor, spinach was not my first choice at all.
Now, the bad news is that I was wrong to do so…it seems that this green vegetable has many, many benefits for your health.
Not to mention that it has a delicious taste.
The good news is that it’s never too late to change eating habits.
One of the most popular green vegetables, spinach can be categorized as a super food because of its rich content in nutrients, nutrients that are essential to the good functioning of the human body.
In order to understand better why spinach is a super food, take a look at the following list of reasons…this list should convince you to include spinach in your everyday menu:
- It is a natural source of antioxidants due to the high content of vitamin E, beta carotene, vitamin C, zinc, selenium and manganese.
- Spinach controls and even lowers blood pressure.
- Studies have shown that by consuming spinach on a regular basis we strength our immune system.
- Also, spinach will help us keep a health skin, supporting the body to fight aging.
- Due to the high content of vitamin K, spinach has an important contribution to the health of our nervous system.
- Rich in lutein, this vegetable prevents cataracts and macular degeneration.
- The folic acid, the fiber and the rest of the nutrients that spinach contains play an important role in preventing and controlling different types of cancer, especially breast and colon cancer.
As you can see, there are plenty of reasons why it is a good idea to eat spinach, if you are not doing it already. Add a little bit to your favorite vegetable soup, to your breakfast omelet or transform it into a delicious dip. It is easy to modify and to adjust recipes to the ingredients you have at home…so, why not be Popeye the Sailor for a day?
RSS Trackback URL 28. September 2012 (15:39)
Filed under: Nutrition by Cristina P