During summer, the perfect daily menu contains many, many…many vegetables.
Of course, the rule should be followed no matter the season but salads and light foods seem to work the best during summer.
The possibilities are vast, the combinations seem endless.
Take, zucchini, for example. I recently discovered them in an Italian recipe and, I have to be honest, they were very, very tasty. I found out that not only they have a good taste but they also have healthy benefits.
Low in calories and with many nutritional values, zucchini should be revaluated and introduced in our menu. Here are some reasons why zucchini are a healthy choice.
- It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidants properties thus being efficient in curing asthma and other similar diseases;
- Rich in Vitamin C, zucchini is a good help in treating bruising or scurvy;
- Low in calories due to the high content of water (more than 95%), this vegetable can be successfully included in any type of diet;
- It contains also important quantities of vitamin A and B, potassium, folate and magnesium that make sure your body function at its best;
- Due to the combination of phosphorus and magnesium, zucchini keeps the health of your bones;
- Maintains in good shape the cardiovascular system;
- Controls the levels of cholesterol;
- Fights the process of aging and contributes to the production of collages thus to a healthier skin.
The truth is that the more you read, the more interesting it gets. Zucchini can be cooked in many ways and in many combinations. For this reason, it can be lunch, dinner or snack.
Now, that you understand why you should eat zucchini, all you need is a list of healthy recipes. How about a salad with zucchini, green onions and a spoon or two of cottage cheese? Perfect for a summer lunch…
RSS Trackback URL 14. June 2012 (14:44)
Filed under: Nutrition by Cristina P